Bhutan is known for its unique and vibrant festivals, which are celebrated throughout the year and are an important part of Bhutanese culture and tradition. These festivals are usually held in the courtyard of a monastery or dzong and are attended by both locals and tourists. Here are some more details about festivals in Bhutan:
- Dates: The dates of festivals in Bhutan are based on the lunar calendar, and they can change every year. Some of the most popular festivals are held in the spring and fall seasons.
- Religious significance: Festivals in Bhutan have a strong religious significance, and they are celebrated to honor Buddhist saints and to seek blessings for the people of Bhutan. During these festivals, monks perform religious ceremonies and dances, and people dress up in traditional attire.
- Dance performances: One of the most striking features of Bhutanese festivals is the traditional dance performances. These dances are performed by monks and laymen, who wear elaborate costumes and masks. Each dance has a specific meaning and significance.
- Local food: Festivals in Bhutan are also a great opportunity to taste local Bhutanese cuisine. Traditional dishes like momos (dumplings), ema datshi (spicy cheese dish), and red rice are commonly served during festivals.
- Tourism: Festivals in Bhutan are a major attraction for tourists, and many visitors plan their trip to Bhutan around these festivals. The government of Bhutan also encourages sustainable tourism practices during festivals to minimize the impact on the environment and local communities.
Overall, festivals in Bhutan offer a unique opportunity to experience the rich culture and tradition of this small Himalayan kingdom.
The festivals bring the Bhutanese people to immerse into understanding Buddhism and gain merit. The festivals also gives people a chance to celebrate their successful harvest, wear beautiful jewelries and enjoy picnic with family members and friends. The foods usually comprise of red rice, dried meats cooked with radish and dried red chilies. This gives the people to meet with each other and interact, joke and flirt.